Thursday, September 3, 2009

BRAND SPANKING NEW!

Oh hey, boys and girls. This is my new blog now, since NHL Connect turned into some sort of NHL Facebook now (without the Hockey Tycoon application- go figure) and it bugs me to even look at it. So, I guess this is the time I should tell you stuff about me.

Nope.

All you need to know is I like hockey. Specifically, three teams- Buffalo Sabres, Calgary Flames, and... oh, get ready for this one, folks...


...The Carolina Hurricanes.

Now most of you by now are like, "Hey, buddy. How in Gord's name could you ever like the Sabres AND the Canes?" Which is why I'm going to tell you right now, obviously. Back when I was a young man of... well, it was February really, but I was but 23 then... I made friends on NHL Connect with two young ladies, Kate and Rachel. And we went back and forth since Canes fans and Sabres fans can sometimes do that from time to time, but Rachel told me about a young lad named Chad LaRose, who she dubbed "The Chuck Norris of Hockey". Why he got that nickname, I can't understand- I'm blaming facebook- but I was intrigued. And since Time Warner Cable was VERY kind to me this past year, I had NHL Center Ice for FREE until the beginning of March (yeah, almost all season), so I decided I'd check this guy out. The first game I watched, I don't even remember who they played. No, the only thing I remember is number 59 in red chugging down the ice, finishing checks (all 5'8" of him) and completing passes and playing every shift like he was in Game Seven of the Stanley Cup Finals. Much like my favorite Sabre, Paul Gaustad, he showed heart, grit, and determination- well, except Goose is like, 6'3"- and the rest they say is history. I do take a lot of heat for this, don't get me wrong. I've gotten used to my friends not understanding, and calling me a traitor, but I still love the hell out of my Sabres and could never EVER turn my back on them. I think the playoff run of the Canes this past season pretty much sealed the deal, since they had a crazy series against the Devils which included a Game Seven to remember (down 3-2 with less than ninety seconds to play, the Canes scored twice in less than a minute to win 4-3 and take the series- it is now called "Shock At The Rock") and an equally mind-blowing series against top-seed Boston (that game seven is known as "That time Scotty Walker punched the Bruins in the soul") before bowing out to the eventual Cup Champs, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Anyway, I'm rambling. So, I like the Canes, and the Sabres, and the Flames. But I love hockey. I pay attention at least to every team, and when none of mine are on, I will watch any and every game I can. Other than hockey, I love baseball (the Cardinals and Red Sox, specifically), basketball (Boston Celtics! WOO!), and Buffalo Bills football, as much as they piss me off every damn year. I work in retail, but oddly enough I really love my job. Not because my boss might eventually see this, or because it funds my insane hockey trip adventures, but because I like helping people look damn snazzy. Obviously. And... other than that, I got nothing.

I dunno. If you have any questions, feel free to comment! I appreciate you reading this long ramble of nonsense, and hope you get a chance to check me out ALL SEASON LONG. BWAH NA NA!

Later. -MH

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Two thumbs up! Plus anytime there is shout-outage, I'm happy!